Franklin Park, Illinois ’50s Barbeque Day sandwich recipe

Home Forums Swap Shop Franklin Park, Illinois ’50s Barbeque Day sandwich recipe

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  rzemanfl 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

rzemanfl
    Participant

When I was a kid, everyone went home for lunch.  The PTA, a few times a year, would have “Barbeque Day” and we ate what some would call “sloppy joes” at our desks, along with chips, milk in wax paper cartons and chocolate cake.  For grade school boys, ordering our food for Barbeque Day was a prelude to an eating contest.  I would love to have the recipe for for those sandwiches that were delivered to our desks wrapped in paper.  The whole school smelled fabulous on barbeque day!

Reply: I love this request! I am totally tracking with that memory of the good, noon smell of grade school on a special-menu day. I will see what I can do to find this for you! –Monica Kass Rogers

rzemanfl
    Participant

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!  Anyone who went to grade school in Franklin Park in the 1950’s would have vivid memories of barbeque day.  I attended South School, but I am pretty sure the other grade schools did the same thing.  I have never had anything quite like those sandwiches since I was a kid.

I remember having to wash our desks with that awful yellowish green liquid soap from the bathrooms while we waited for the food to come and propping the tops level so the food wouldn’t slide off .

Well friends, I just got the recipe! A big huge quantity version, and a smaller one too! Now, just researching to get a bit more history from District 24 and I’ll get them published for you. Also, looking to find a few vintage PTA photos of the moms cooking the sloppy joes. Cheers!–Monica Kass Rogers

rzemanfl
    Participant

That is just terrific!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.