Hershey syrup upside down cake

Home Forums Swap Shop Hershey syrup upside down cake

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  chefsusaninvt 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

kimberheide711
    Participant

My husband has told me for years of a cake he would make, using a cast iron skillet, Hershey’s chocolate syrup from the can. He calls it Chocolate upside down cake. It was on the back of the can of the Hershey’s Chocolate syrup can. Does any one know what he is talking about and possibly have the recipe? I would Love to find this and surprise him with it. Thank you

chefsusaninvt
    Participant

It just so happens I have in front of me what looks to be a 1960s reproduction of the Hershey’s 1934 cookbook. Here is the recipe, transcribed just as it appears in the book:

2 tablespoonfuls butter…1/2 cupful brown sugar, packed…1 can (1 pound) apricot halves, drained…8 to 10 maraschino cherries, halved…1/3 cupful butter…3/4 cupful granulated sugar…1/4 cupful Hershey’s Cocoa…dash of cinnamon…2 eggs…1 3/4 cupfuls sifted cake flour…1 teaspoonful baking soda…3/4 cupful milk…1/2 teaspoonful vanilla.

Melt 2 tablespoonfuls butter in a heavy frying pan or 9-inch square pan. Add brown sugar, then arrange the apricot halves all over the bottom of the pan on the brown sugar, placing cherry halves between. Set aside while preparing the cake. For cake: cram the 1/3 cupful butter, granulated sugar, cocoa and cinnamon; add eggs, beaten very little, and whip the mixture vigorously. Then add flour and baking soda, sifted together, alternately with the milk. Add vanilla and pour batter into the pan over the fruit. Bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees) 35 to 40 minutes. Turn out immediately. Serve warm.

chefsusaninvt
    Participant

For what it’s worth, this recipe looks like it predates the one your husband was talking about, and the chocolate syrup version was probably developed later on, to sell…chocolate syrup. I would venture that instead of cocoa powder and milk this cake could as easily be made with 3/4 cup chocolate syrup. Worth a try. Susan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.