Irish Stew Ballymaloe House

Home Forums Swap Shop Irish Stew Ballymaloe House

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Monica Kass Rogers 5 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

lness
    Participant

This appeared in an ancient issue of Gourmet Magazine, probably 1960-something.  I’ve lost the recipe, and it’s the most wonderful stew!  It’s thickened with mashed potatoes.

Reply: This one I may have! I’ve got Gourmets from that decade. I’ll take a look today. –Monica Kass Rogers

Reply: Here is the recipe! I started going through all of my sixties Gourmet magazine issues, but then it occurred to me that in 2004, Ruth Reichl had published a nice volume including recipe bests from the last 60 years. Sure enough, she included this recipe. Here you go!

Original recipe from Darina Allen of the Ballymaloe Cooking School’s Complete Book of Irish Cookery

3 lb (1 to 2 inch thick) shoulder lamb chops

Salt & freshly ground black pepper

1 lb small onions, peeled and root ends trimmed

1 lb carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces

2 1/2 cups chicken stock

1 fresh thyme sprig

2 lb small boiling potatoes

1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter

2 Tbsp flour

2 Tbsp fresh, flat lead parsley, chopped

2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives

Place rack in middle of oven. Heat to 350. Cut chops in half lengthwise. Trim off and reserve fat. Cook fat in 12-inch heavy skillet over low heat until rendered (about 10 minutes) Discard solid bits. Set skillet aside. Pat chops dry and season with salt and pepper. Brown in two batches over medium high heat in the rendered fat. Transfer to a dish. Add onions and carrots to the skillet and toss to coat with fat. Remove from heat. Arrange 1/2 of the lamb in 4-quart heavy oven proof pot. Salt and pepper. Top with onions and carrots, then remaining lamb, peppering and salting each layer. Add stock to skillet and heat to boiling, scraping browned bits. Pour all into pot. Add sprig of thyme. Peel potatoes. Halve and arrrange on top. Salt and pepper again. Bring to simmer. Cover. Place covered pot in oven 1 to 1/4 hours until tender. Ladle liquid out. Skim fat. Discard the fat and reserve the liquid. Make a roux with the flour; add the liquid and whisk until thickened into a gravy. Mash the potatoes if you like.

This one I may have! I’ve got Gourmet magazines from that decade. I’ll take a look toay.

–Monica

Iness! Okay, I’ve gone through about half of them–nothing yet, but I’ll keep looking!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.