Lemon Chozs – a bar cookie

Home Forums Swap Shop Lemon Chozs – a bar cookie

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  maggiemugs 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Jane H Caulfield

Probably got the recipe in the 1970’s. It was a thin bar cookie baked in a jelly roll pan. The bottom layer had graham cracker crumbs, butter and brown sugar. Mixed and pressed in the buttered pan and then baked. The next layer had sweetened condensed milk, coconut flakes and several other ingredients. Spread on the base and baked. A confectioners sugar and lemon juice icing was spread on the top of the hot cookie. Cooled and then cut in diagonal bars. Lost the recipe a year ago and the whole family misses them.

maggiemugs

My Grandpa Irwin’s name for these were “Lemon Chaws” but they sound like what you’re looking for. Here is my Gram Irwin’s recipe:

Grandpa Irwin’s Lemon Chaws:

Ingredients:

Crust:

1/2 cup butter, softened
    1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup dark brown sugar

Filling:

1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers
    1/2 cup flaked coconut
    1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped

Lemon Drizzle:

1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
    1 tablespoon butter, melted

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Combine butter, flour, and brown sugar until crumbly. Press into pan and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.

While the crust is baking, combine the milk, crushed graham crackers, coconut and nuts. Spoon over the baked crust and smooth with a lightly greased spatula or spoon.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately add drizzle while chaws are still warm. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.

Make the drizzle while chaws are baking. Combine all the ingredients, mixing until smooth. Drizzle or spread over warm chaws.

My notes: Gram Irwin was one of those maddening bakers who rarely wrote stuff down, so I got her to write this out for me to use in Home Ec when I was 14. I don’t know where she got the original recipe from, but she never included things like pan size or ounces for the can size of the milk, or even yield.

I usually bake it in an 8×8-inch square pan that I butter, so they are a bit thicker, and make around 16 bars if you make them 1-inch wide.

I have also substituted both hazelnuts and black walnuts in the recipe in place of the English walnuts, but I suspect that they could be good with any nut you like.

Once or twice, I remember Gram crushing up an additional 1 1/2 cups of cinnamon sugar graham crackers and sprinkling them over the filling before baking them. I don’t know if it affects baking time, but you can play with it if you want. Just drizzle with the lemon sauce as per above and cut when cool.

I hope this is what you are looking for!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by  maggiemugs. Reason: forgot a note
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.