Michigan State Cake

Home Forums Swap Shop Michigan State Cake

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ridgiemama 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

ridgiemama
    Participant

My father-in-law raves about a cake his mother made that she called Michigan State cake. I have a feeling that it goes by another name since I have spent hours digging and I can’t find any type of recipe for a cake like he describes (but many pictures of garishly decorated green and white monstrosities).

It is described a sponge-type cake, almost rubbery, with a coconut, pecan, and brown sugar topping that’s baked or broiled. His sister things it may have come out of a cookbook from Salem St. in Davison, Michigan. Of course, Grandma Calla never wrote a recipe down and no one can seem to find this particular cook book.

I’d be thrilled to make this for dad’s birthday if any of you have a recipe that you think is similar to what I have described. Thanks for your help!!!

1steve
    Participant

See if this recipe is close to the one you are looking for :)

Coconut Pecan Cake With Broiled Frosting

This moist coconut cake is topped with an old fashion broiled frosting and filled with pecans.
    30 min.prep time 1:20total time

Ingredients
    Cake
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 cups Land O Lakes® Butter, softened
    4 Land O Lakes® All-Natural Eggs
    1 tablespoon vanilla
    1 cup buttermilk*
    2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
    1 cup chopped pecans
    Frosting
    1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1/3 cup Land O Lakes® Butter, melted
    1/4 cup whipping cream, or milk
    Directions

Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 13×9-inch baking pan; set aside. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; set aside.

Combine sugar and butter in large bowl; beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; continue beating until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in coconut and pecans.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 45-50 minutes or until cake springs back when touched lightly in center and edges begin to pull away from sides of pan.

Heat broiler. Combine all frosting ingredients in small bowl until well mixed. Spread over warm cake. Broil 2 to 4 inches from heat until bubbly (1 to 3 minutes). Serve warm or cool.

*Substitute 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice plus enough milk to equal 1 cup. Let stand 5 minutes.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  1steve.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  1steve.

ridgiemama
    Participant

I made this for New Year’s Eve. This is it! Dad reported that Grandma’s cake was not as thick but I’m guessing that she beat the sugar and butter less than I did. I put it in my kitchen aid and beat the heck out of it. She probably mixed them by hand and just a little. He said the taste was spot on. THANK YOU!!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.