Nelson Bakery Cheesecake

Home Forums Swap Shop Nelson Bakery Cheesecake

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Monica Kass Rogers 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

hjpfaff
    Participant

I have been trying to find a recipe for a cheesecake which we used to buy from Nelson’s Swedish Bakery in Chicago (Edgebrook). Nelson’s went out of business many years ago.

The cheesecake was baked in a large rectangular pan and was cut into individual cakes for sale. These cakes were about 5 inches wide by about 8 inches long. The cake was about 4 inches high. It had a delicate, light texture as though a cheesecake batter had been mixed with an angel food cake batter. The cake was dusted with confectioner’s sugar, and I believe a light flavoring of almond extract was included in the cake batter.

REPLY: I’VE HAD REQUESTS FOR JUST SUCH A CAKE BEFORE! HAVEN’T TURNED UP THE EXACT RECIPE YET, BUT WILL DO SOME SEARCHING FOR YOU. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Here’e a recipe that might be similar, but I can’t follow it:

2.5 lb  baker’s cheese
    2.25 lb cream cheese
    12 oz. patent flour
    1.25 oz. salt
    4 oz. milk powder
    .5 quart eggs
    Vanilla and lemon or almond flavors
    Mix together
    1 quart water
    .5 lb shortening
    Bring to boil until shortening is melted

3 lb sugar
    .5 quart water
    .75 oz. cream of tartar
    Bring to boil 340% then pour into whipped egg whites

1 quart egg whites (whip in separate kettle)
    .5 lb. granulated sugar
    1 oz egg albumen

Goes in last – boil

• This topic was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by  hjpfaff.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by  Monica Kass Rogers.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by  hjpfaff.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by  hjpfaff.

Joan Boss
    Participant

I don’t have the recipe but it sounds similar to what Orland Bakery in Orland Park calls “New York” cheesecake. Perhaps you could try theirs and then see if they will give you some hints.

xtine2u
    Participant

This sounds like the Mile High Cheesecake that was sold at Wolfs Bakery on 95th street in Evergreen Park. I would love to find a recipe like this and hopefully be able to modify it to be gluten free.

Hi, Hipfaff!
    …I’m going to have a baker friend help out in translating this for you (and other interested home cooks!) Thanks for your patience, and stay tuned!!
    –Monica Kass Rogers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.