Rice Krispy bars from around 1967-70

Home Forums Swap Shop Rice Krispy bars from around 1967-70

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Monica Kass Rogers 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

anna
    Participant

I remember a bar we made when I was a kid.  I think it came off the Rice Krispies box, but when I contacted the company a couple of years ago, they had no record to verify that memory.  The bar consisted of top and bottom layers of Rice Krispies in a peanut butter mixture.  The middle layer was similar to fudge.  They set up in a 9″x9″ pan.   They were so good, I couldn’t understand how the alternate Rice Krispy Treat became all the rage.  Maybe because they were much simpler and quicker to make.

I would be so happy to find this lost recipe.

Hi Anna! Wow–I’d have to agree that peanut butter fudge Krispie bars sound more appealing! I’ll see what I can find!

–Monica

hattie
    Participant

Take a look at this link. They look like they may be similar…

http://www.theextraordinaryartofcake.com/2011/03/peanut-butter-crispy-bars-recipe.html

Hi Again! Here is another Marshmallow Krispie Bar, from a book of “America’s Favorite Brand Name Old-Fashioned Favorites.”

Marshmallow Krispie Bars
    Makes 1, 9 x 13 inch pan; 24 bars
    1 pkg (19.8 oz) chocolate fudge brownie mix
    1 pkg (10 1/2 oz) miniature marshmallow
    1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 cup JIF creamy peanut butter
    1 Tbsp butter
    1 1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
    1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease bottom of 13 x 9 x 2 baking pan
    2. Prepare and bake brownies following the package directions.
    3. Sprinkle marshmallows over the hot brownies right after you take them out of the oven. Return pan to oven and bake for 3 minutes more.
    4. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter.
    Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until chips are melted. Stir in rice cereal and mix well. Spread mixture over marshmallow layer in the brownie pan. Refrigerate until chilled. Cut into bars.

…and oddly enough, the SunTimes just ran a recipe of this ilk. Here it is, sent over by LRF reader Philippa (thanks, Philippa!)

PEANUT-BUTTER CRISPY RICE TREATS

6 T. unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
    4 c. miniature marshmallows
    1/2 c. smooth peanut butter
    6 c. puffed-rice cereal
    1/2 c. whole roasted peanuts
    4 oz. good-quality semisweet chocolate, chopped
    Flaked sea salt, optional
    Lightly butter a 13×9 baking dish.
    Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low to medium- low heat until light brown specks start to form and the butter starts to smell nutty, about 10 to 12 minutes.
    Add the marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Add the puffed-rice cereal and peanuts. Stir until well-coated.
    Press the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish. Cool completely.
    Meanwhile, place the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl. Microwave in 30-second intervals until the chocolate is melted.
    Drizzle the chocolate over the cooled crispy rice treats and sprinkle with flaked sea salt if desired. Cut into 18 bars.
    Cook’s Note: Regular or natural peanut butter works here, just make sure it’s emulsified.

This recipe is from the Chicago Sun-Times, page 38, Oct. 2, 2013 issue. The paper cites The Food Network Kitchens as the source.

AhA!! Thanks to one of our readers, I think we have the recipe that best matches Anna’s request! Here it is:

Crunchy Fudge Sandwiches (Butterscotch Peanut Butter Krispy Bars with Fudge Layer
    )
    Makes 25 squares

1, 6-oz pkg (1 cup) butterscotch-flavored morsels
    ½ cup peanut butter
    4 cups Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal
    1 6-oz pkg. (1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
    ½ cup sifted confectioners (powdered) sugar
    1 Tbsp margarine or butter, softened
    1 Tbsp water

1. Make first layer: In a large saucepan over very low heat, melt butterscotch-flavored morsels with peanut butter, stirring constantly until smooth. Stir in cereal. Press half of this mixture into a buttered, 8 x 8 x 2-inch pan. Set other half of the mixture aside. Chill pan.
    2. Make middle layer: In a medium-sized saucepan ½ filled with water heat water until hot but not boiling. Place a metal mixing bowl over the pot of hot water. Place semi-sweet chocolate morsels, sugar, margarine and water in the bowl and melt, stirring constantly until smooth. Spread the hot chocolate mixture over the chilled pan-full of cereal mixture.
    3. Add top layer: Spread remaining cereal/butterscotch/peanut butter mixture over the top of the chocolate layer. Using a buttered spatula, press gently to smooth top layer. Chill until firm (about 1 hour.) Cut into 25, 1 ½ x 1 ½ squares.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.