Senator McCarthy Cake

Home Forums Swap Shop Senator McCarthy Cake

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nepats010866 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

nepats010866
    Participant

Hello All; my Grandmother used to make this for me and the recipe has been lost. It was a chocolate cake with white cream frosting. Any help with this would be so appreciated. Thank you

I’ve started digging and delving to find this one–nothing in the archives at Boston Globe, and have put out queries to the Boston Historical Society and Boston Culinary Historians–I’ll let you know when something comes through! Cheers!

Monica Kass Rogers

Hooray! Finally found! Reader Philippa O’Keefe’s mom used to bake this cake when Philippa came home on college breaks, and, for birthdays. “When Eugene McCarthy was running for POTUS (I still have a button and bumper sticker!) one of the ladies’ magazines (McCall’s, I think) published a recipe for Abigail McCarthy’s chocolate cake. Gene and Abigail later separated–I hope it wasn’t over the cake!”

ABIGAIL MCCARTHY’S CHOCOLATE CAKE

Sift together:  2 1/2 c. sifted cake flour

1 tsp. baking soda

dash of salt

Cream: 1 stick butter or margarine

with 2 c. sugar

Beat into creamed mixture:  2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

2 squares chocolate, melted

1 c. sour cream

Stir in flour mixture until smooth and creamy.  Beat in 3/4 c. warm water.  Continue beating at least two minutes.  Pour into a greased and floured

13x9x2″ pan.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35 minutes.  Cool in pan.

For the frosting, Philippa recommends the following recipe, which she copied out of the SunTimes more than 55 years ago.

THREE-FOURTHS FROSTING

3 3/4 T. cake flour

3/4 c. milk

3/4 c. butter

3/4 c. granulated sugar

1/4 tsp. salt

1 tsp. vanilla or rum

Whisk flour and milk together. Still whisking constantly, cook over medium-low heat until thickened.  Cool completely.  Cream butter, sugar, salt and flavoring together. Add butter mixture to cooled flour/milk mixture and beat until smooth. Use a stand mixer for best results.  The final product should look almost like whipped cream.

Hooray! Finally found! Reader Philippa O’Keefe’s mom used to bake this cake when Philippa came home on college breaks, and, for birthdays. “When Eugene McCarthy was running for POTUS (I still have a button and bumper sticker!) one of the ladies’ magazines (McCall’s, I think) published a recipe for Abigail McCarthy’s chocolate cake. Gene and Abigail later separated–I hope it wasn’t over the cake!”

ABIGAIL MCCARTHY’S CHOCOLATE CAKE

Sift together:  2 1/2 c. sifted cake flour

1 tsp. baking soda

dash of salt

Cream: 1 stick butter or margarine

with 2 c. sugar

Beat into creamed mixture:  2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

2 squares chocolate, melted

1 c. sour cream

Stir in flour mixture until smooth and creamy.  Beat in 3/4 c. warm water.  Continue beating at least two minutes.  Pour into a greased and floured

13x9x2″ pan.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35 minutes.  Cool in pan.

For the frosting, Philippa recommends the following recipe, which she copied out of the SunTimes more than 55 years ago.

THREE-FOURTHS FROSTING

3 3/4 T. cake flour

3/4 c. milk

3/4 c. butter

3/4 c. granulated sugar

1/4 tsp. salt

1 tsp. vanilla or rum

Whisk flour and milk together. Still whisking constantly, cook over medium-low heat until thickened.  Cool completely.  Cream butter, sugar, salt and flavoring together. Add butter mixture to cooled flour/milk mixture and beat until smooth. Use a stand mixer for best results.  The final product should look almost like whipped cream.

nepats010866
    Participant

THANK YOU!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!! SO SO MUCH…….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.