With the weather cooling off, we’re in the kitchen more, hankering for substantial and homey recipes like these oven-roast BBQ ribs, ’70s style…yup, with ketchup, brown sugar, chili and Worchestershire, but easy good.
Makes 6 servings
- 5 lbs pork back ribs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 3/4 cup chili sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 6 Tbsp each Worchestershire sauce & firmly-packed brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp lemon
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 2 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut ribs into 3 to 4-rib portions. Rub with salt and pepper. Place on rack in a shallow baking pan and roast at 450 for 30 minutes
- While ribs roast, combine remaining ingredients in non-reactive sauce pan. Heat to boiling. Reduce to simmer and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove ribs from oven. Pour off fat. Flip ribs over so they are meaty-side down. Brush generously with sauce. Reduce oven to 300 degrees. Roast ribs for 30 minutes.
- Flip ribs and baste with more sauce. Roast another hour, basting every ten minutes or so.
- Eat ’em up!