Apple slices are a Midwestern favorite. Not exactly pie and not exactly bar cookie, the “slice” puts the goodness of apple pie in easy-to-make and easy to handle pan-baked form. The crust has an egg in it, making it a little sturdier than a flaky pie crust, and the lemony glaze is the classic topper. They’re wonderful right out of the oven, but we like them best for breakfast the day after, once the juicy filling has had a chance to “set up” a bit more. They hold very well–take them along for picnics, or wrap them in waxed paper to tuck into school lunches.
Makes 18 to 24 slices
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening (Note: we liked the slices we made with Spectrum Organic All-Vegetable Butter Flavor Shortening best–available at Whole Foods)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup almond milk (Note: you can substitute regular milk)
- juice from 1/2 of a fresh lemon (save other half for glaze)
- 6 cups peeled, cored, sliced apples (Cut apples into eighths; slice eighths into small pieces)
- 1 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (OPTIONAL)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp very soft unsalted butter
- 1 cup sifted confectioners sugar
- juice from 1/2 fresh lemon
- 1 Tbsp almond milk (Note: you can use regular milk if you prefer)
- Make crust: Sift flour and salt together. Using two knives or a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture is like fine crumbs. Whisk egg with milk; combine with flour mixture. Gather dough into ball; split into two balls. Place one in the refrigerator. On a lightly-floured surface, roll out one of the balls into a 9 x 13 inch rectangle. Lightly press this into the bottom of a 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking pan.
- Make filling: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel, core and slice apples. Squeeze lemon juice from 1/2 of a lemon over the apples. Combine sugar and flour, pinch of salt (and cinnamon, if using) and sprinkle over all. Toss to coat well. Spread apples in an even layer over bottom crust. Dot apple with butter. Retrieve second ball of pastry from the refrigerator and roll out on a lightly-floured surface into a 9 x 13 inch rectangle. Place this over the apple filling. Don’t worry at the gap around the edge of the crust.
- Bake at 375 for 35 to 40 minutes until crust is browned and apple filling is bubbling and tender. Cool for 15 minutes before applying glaze.
- Make glaze: Whisk softened butter, powdered sugar and lemon juice together; thin with almond milk (you can use a little more than a Tbsp if needed) until smooth. Spread over uncut apple slices; let set up for 15 more minutes. Slice and serve.