A lot of people shy away from root vegetables. Not me. They are humble, honest, good grub. Ever since my mom showed a very-young me how to puree turnips, adding a little fresh-cracked black pepper, salt and butter before serving, I have been mixing up batches as a homely comfort food for chilly days. When I discovered that my Irish friend Majella calls them “bashed neeps (‘nips, get it?) that made this dish even more endearing. These are great served with our Curried Lamb & Potato Pie.
Makes 4 servings
- 4 large or 6 medium-sized turnips, peeled and diced into cubes
- 2 Tbsp soy butter (or regular butter)
- salt & fresh ground black pepper
- Boil turnips in water until tender but not overcooked. Drain.
- Using a hand blender, or regular blender, puree turnips until creamy smooth. Add soy butter and plenty of pepper and salt.