One of the classier among the ’70s cream-of-mushroom-soup & canned veggie casseroles out there, this sherry-spiked artichoke and chicken dish was published in a community cookbook from the Womens’ Board of the North Shore Country Day School, Winnetka, IL, and is reprinted with permission here. Reader Dorothy D. asked us to find it.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 8 whole chicken breasts
- 1 large can chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds sauteed mushrooms
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 small carton sour cream
- 2 cans artichoke hearts
- 2 cans water chestnuts
- salt, pepper and sherry or vermouth to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Simmer chicken for half an hour in broth until tender. Cool and remove meat from bones. Combine mushroom soup, sour cream, mushrooms, chopped water chestnuts, sherry, salt and pepper. Line a large casserole with the chicken. Pour over sauce and “dot” the artichoke hearts on top. Bake about 1 hour in a 350 degree oven.