With warm weather pushing all things into bright blossom, we’re packing the truck with lawnchairs and contemplating the picnic basket. This salad is a favorite bring-along; renditions of it were especially popular in the ’80s and ’90s. It makes great use of any roast chicken you have hanging around, and is brightly spiced with the sweet heat of Indian chutney, turmeric & curry powder. The added crunch of celery, apples & toasted almond, and the chew of zante currants makes for textural perfection.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
Curried Chutney Chicken Salad Ingredients
- 4 cups roast chicken, trimmed of fat & cubed
- 1 large, tart red apple, peeled and cubed (at least 1 cup)
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and cubed (at least 1 cup)
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 4 green onions, whites included, chopped
- 1/4 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup zante currants
- butter lettuce cups, for serving
- avocado slices and celery or lovage leaves as garnish
Curried Chutney Dressing Ingredients
- 1 cup olive-oil mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup mango chutney (dice any large chunks)
- 2 Tbsp Thai sweet chili sauce (less if you like–adjust to your taste)
- juice from two fresh limes, plus the grated zest
from the lime peel
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp each of sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Combine chicken, celery, apples, green onion, almonds and currants.
- Mix all dressing ingredients together.
- Toss chicken salad components with the dressing to coat well.
- Refrigerate for several hours to allow the flavors to develop.
- Serve salad in butter-lettuce cups with crackers and avocado slices. Garnish with celery or lovage leaves.