We’ve had quite a few requests for Tiki-themed recipes that go back to ’50s and ’60s originals. One oldie-but goodie? Hawaiian Chinese Spareribs from Don The Beachcomber’s, LA. More tiki-recipes coming soon.
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2-inch piece ginger root, crushed, or 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 rack spareribs
- Mix soy sauce, ketchup, sherry, sugar, salt, garlic and ginger.
- Rub into spareribs very well, then let marinate for three hours.
- Remove ribs and place on a rack with a shallow pan underneath.
- Cover the bottom of the pan with 1/2 inch of water.
- Roast in a 350 degree oven 45 minutes or until tender and browned. Baste with marinade and turn ribs frequently.
- Cut into individual ribs and serve with Chinese sauces and hot mustard.