In the ’50s, Pillsbury’s Best quadruple-X (XXXX) Flour cookie pamphlets were graced by four “Merry Miller” cartoon characters: Freshy, Smoothy, Whitey and Choosy were bakers all bearing a big “X” across their aproned chests. Whitey peers out from the page of one of the pamphlets bearing this fantastically-flavored and easy-to-make Pillsbury gingersnap cookie recipe. Whitey looks like he likes the snaps as much as I do.
Makes 4 1/2 dozen
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses (not blackstrap)
- 1/2 cup sugar, to coat cookies
- In a large bowl, sift flour and spices together. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or by hand, cream butter and 3/4 cups sugar until fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients. Chill dough for 1/2 hour.
- Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls. Drop each in small bowl containing 1/2 cup of sugar. Place balls on parchment-lined baking sheets, sugar side up.
- Bake at 375 for 9 to 12 minutes.
- Cool on a rack.