We’ve had loads of requests for department-store tea-room chicken salads! I’ve got a few more coming for you soon as I can get them tested and photographed. In the meantime, here is a special one from Marshall Field’s: crunchy with apples, nuts, and celery; flavored with sugar & spice and an old-fashioned boiled dressing.
Makes 10, 1-cup servings of salad
Chicken Salad Ingredients
- 4 cups white chicken meat, cooked and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups apples, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3/4 cup cashews (or pecans) toasted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp curry powder (depending on your taste)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup boiled dressing (below)
Boiled Dressing Ingredients
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- Make boiled dressing: Place sugar, mustard, salt, flour and egg in a small bowl and blend well. Combine vinegar and water in saucepan and heat for several minutes. Pour hot vinegar/water into egg mixture and whisk. Return to saucepan. Over medium heat, cook until mixture thickens, whisking constantly to prevent scorching. Add butter or margarine and stir until melted. Makes 1 1/4 cups. Store, covered, in refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- Make salad: Combine chicken, apples, raisins, celery and nuts. Blend salt, brown sugar, mayonnaise boiled dressing and curry powder and add to the chicken mixture. Toss well. Chill. Serve over salad leaves, or, on fresh baked bread.