It doesn’t only have to happen in soup: The satisfying pairing of silky mushrooms with chewy barley gets an update in this easy, vegan dish. You just need barley, a rice cooker, mushrooms and herbs.
- 1 cup barley
- 3 cups no-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp each chopped parsley and chives
- 1 onion
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp water
- 8 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Using your rice-cooker, measure 1 cup barley and three cups no-sodium vegetable broth.
- Stir in 1 Tbsp each chopped parsley and chives.
- While barley cooks, chop 1 onion and saute until soft in 1 Tbsp olive oil; 2 Tbsp water. Add 8 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms—stems removed. Cook until soft.
- Mix cooked barley into mushroom onion mixture. Salt and pepper to taste. Easy!