I’ve had lots of pea shoots in Southeast Asian restaurants, but when I’m not in the mood for that fish-sauce tang, this is a refreshing alternative: peas three ways (shoots, pods and peas) in a Mediterranean salad toss-up of spearmint, pecorino cheese , croutons, lemon and bacon. Graciously shared by the chefs at Chicago’s Purple Pig restaurant.
Makes 4 servings
- 2 cups cooked Spring peas
- 1 cup blanched sugar snap peas, cut in half
- 1 cup pea shoots, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup thick-sliced bacon, rendered and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- ‘1/2 cup grated pecorino cheese
- 4 Tbsp snipped spearmint
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- Toss Spring peas and snap peas with spearmint, olive oil and lemon juice. Sprinkle with bacon, cheese and a few broken croutons. Top with delicate pea shoots.