You thought sangria had to be Spanish themed? Think again. Restaurateurs Lynae Fearing and Tracy Rathbun, co-owners of Dallas’ Shinsei restaurant re-conceived the classic fruited wine punch with Asian flavors and fruits. (Makes enough for a crowd.) And the bar-snack to go with? Shinsei’s Asian-Style “Trash” Snack Mix, a ’70s retread.
Makes 3 1/2 to 4 gallons
- 6, 750 ml bottles of sauvignon blanc wine
- 4.2 litres sake
- 1 large pineapple, cut into chunks
- 8 oranges (squeezed first–add juiced halves and pulp to mix)
- 6 granny smith apples (cut and added)
- 3, 8.1 oz cans of lychee fruits
- Combine all bottled liquids and fruits. Stir and let rest in fridge for 24 hours. Remove all fruit. Discard all fruit except the lychees. Serve sangria with a lychee fruit on a cocktail pick in each glass as the garnish.