Cherry pie is a favorite at my house, and this recipe for individual pie stacks is a fun alternative. The basic recipe will work with other tart fruits-in-juice as well. Try it with frozen raspberries or blueberries, adding 100% juice from concentrate to make up the juice called for in the recipe.
Makes 4, individual-serving pie stacks, 3 pastry circles per pie-stack serving
Pie Circle Ingredients
- 1 roll-and-bake ready-make pie crust
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 No.2 can (20-ounce) or jar of sour cherries, juice reserved and divided
- 3/4 cup reserved cherry juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cherry juice
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 tsp fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- reserved sour cherries
- 1/2 cup cream, whipped
- Make pie circles: Preheat oven to 450. Roll out crust. Cut into 12, 3-inch circles. Place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Prick each circle several times with the tines of a fork. Mix sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle a small amount on each pastry circle. bake for 5 minutes until golden. Remove to a cooling rack.
- Make filling: drain juice from sour cherries into a large measuring cup. Set cherries aside. Pour 3/4 cup of reserved sour cherry juice into a saucepan. Sift together sugar, cinnamon and salt and sift into saucepan. Mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup cherry juice and pour into pan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until mixture thickens and becomes clear. Remove form heat. Stir in butter, lemon juice and reserved cherries.
- Assemble pie stacks: One each serving plate, place a round of pastry. Spoon some of the cherry filling onto each round. Top each with another round of pastry. Spoon on more filling. Top with third pastry round. Spoon a small dollop of whipped cream on top, if using. Serve.