Carol K. remembers her grandmother making a potato salad that included fresh spinach and sour cream in the mix. Here’s one I adapted from a ’40s recipe that matches her memory of the original. My husband can’t get enough of it.
Makes 6 servings
- 4 cups cooked potatoes, cubed
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 Tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 hard-cooked egg, sieved, reserved for garnish
- 2 cups packed baby spinach leaves, any hard stems removed
- 2 to 3 Tbsp chopped or slivered red onion
- ½ cup mayonnaise (homemade, or Hellman’s)
- 1 cup sour cream (can substitute plain Greek yogurt)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Parsley, for garnish
- Marinate cooked potatoes in oil and vinegar for 2 hours.
- Add remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Let rest for a few hours.
- Before serving, garnish with sieved egg, parsley, and a few red-onion slivers.