Love beets? Me too! Slice and toss them with lettuce and red potatoes and this dreamy, creamy mustard dressing. This is an adaptation of a very simple, very pretty beet/potato/lettuce salad included in a charming, 1951 collection by Heloise Frost and Ellen Nelson.
Makes 3 to 4 servings
- 4 cold, cooked red potatoes quartered and sliced, skin-on
- 2 medium cooked beets, cut in strips
- 1 head lettuce, cut into thin strips
Mustard Cream Dressing Ingredients
- 2 egg yolks (use pasteurized eggs for safety)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp unseasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup cream
- Mound lettuce strips on individual plates. Attractively layer some beet strips and potato slices on each serving.
- Make dressing: Add salt, dry mustard and sugar to egg yolks. While beating in stand mixer, slowly add oil, vinegar and cream. Pour dressing over salads.