Toasted Coconut Pear Bread was a Pillsbury Bake-Off winner in 1982, reprinted here, courtesy of General Mills. Reader Nancy S. requested this find. She baked the pear bread recipe frequently with friends and family, loved that it could be made with easy-to-find ingredients, and still doesn’t get what people have against coconut.
Makes 1 loaf
- 1 1/4 cups coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (1, 29-oz can drained) mashed canned pears,
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups Pillsbury BEST® All Purpose or Unbleached Flour*
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped nuts
- Heat oven to 350°F. Toast coconut for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring once. Grease bottom only of 9×5 or 8×4-inch loaf pan. In large bowl, beat sugar, pears, vanilla and egg until well mixed. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour, baking powder and salt to wet ingredients. By hand, stir 25 to 35 strokes until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in coconut and nuts. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350°F. for 55 to 70 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; loosen edges. Remove from pan. Cool completely. High Altitude (3500-6500 ft) Decrease baking powder to 2 1/2 teaspoons.